HOME / All COURSES
Bachelor's Degree in Optometry
from one of the Best Optometry Colleges in Kolkata
(under West Bengal University of Technology, currently known as Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology)
What is Optometry?
Optometry is a healthcare science focusing on the diagnosis and treatment of different types of impairments related to vision. An optometrist is qualified to examine vision, prescribe lenses for correcting vision, and detects and treats eye diseases. As a career option, it's highly rewarding because of the scope for development and a high earning potential.
As an optometrist, you will be trained to examine overall eye health. You can not only prescribe eyeglasses and lenses but also detect vision defects, health issues like high blood pressure and diabetes that can impact eye health, and identify ocular abnormalities, and eye injuries. Based on your health assessments, you can provide clinical advice to your patients.
What does a Degree in Optometry teach you?
- Geometrical Optics & Physical Optics
- Physiology (General & Ocular)
- Basic Biochemistry
- Anatomy (General & Ocular)
- Dispensing Optics
- Visual Optics
- Basic Ocular Pharmacology
- Pathology & Microbiology
- Computer Fundamentals
- Ophthalmic Instruments
- Ocular Diseases (Anterior & Posterior)
- Clinical Refraction
- LVA & Visual Rehabilitation
- Contact Lens
- Binocular Vision Ocular Motility
- Systemic Disease and Eye
- Public Health & Community Optometry
- Applied optometry and Orthoptics
- Fundamentals of Clinical Research methods
- Basic Accountancy
- Public Relations and Law
What can you do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Optometry?
On completing this course, you become a primary eye care professional, clinically trained and educated in the field of optometry.
- examining patients’ eyes and conducting diagnostic tests to assess ocular health and determine the nature and extent of vision problems and abnormalities
- Testing visual function using specialized instruments and equipment for measuring visual acuity and refractive error, the function of visual pathways, visual fields, eye movements, freedom of vision and intraocular pressure.
- Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.
- Detecting, diagnosing and managing eye disease.
- consulting with and referring patients to ophthalmologists or other health professionals if additional medical treatment is necessary;
- detecting and diagnosing eye movement disorders and defects of binocular function, and planning and managing treatment programs, including counseling patients in eye exercises to coordinate movement and focusing of eyes
- prescribing corrective eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids, and checking optical devices for performance, safety, comfort, and lifestyle;
- advising on visual health matters such as contact lens care, vision care for the elderly, optics, visual ergonomics, and occupational and industrial eye safety
How long is the Degree in Optometry course?
As per University rules, the Bachelor's Degree in Optometry & Vision Science is a full-time 4-year, course, including a one-year internship.
What do you need to enroll for a Bachelor’s Degree in Optometry?
Any student who has passed the 10+2 Examination having English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Mathematics is eligible for admission.
What is the admission procedure?
Admissions are per the norms laid down by MAKAUT / Management of George Group of Colleges.
What are the fees for the course?
Fees for the course comprise:
|Rs. 8,000/-||Rs. 36,000/-||Rs. 8,000/-||Rs. 300/-|
(Caution Deposit refundable after completion of the course).
Where can you Study the course?
You can study this course in:
George College of Management & Science
Budge Budge Trunk Road, Chalkmir, Maheshtala
Kolkata - 700141.
Helpline - 033 4181 6622 / 6633
Mobile - 9874211112